White House.gov Press Office Feed
Monday, December 22, 2014
DOD NEWS: AIRSTRIKES CONTINUE IN SYRIA, IRAQ
Right: 141219-N-DJ750-043 INDIAN OCEAN (Dec. 19, 2014) The guided-missile destroyer USS Gridley (DDG 101) transits the Indian Ocean. Gridley is deployed in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, strike operations in Iraq and Syria as directed, maritime security operations, and theater security cooperation efforts in the region. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Bryan Jackson/Released).
Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria and Iraq
DoD News, Defense Media Activity
SOUTHWEST ASIA , Dec. 22, 2014 – U.S. and partner nation military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria Dec. 22 using fighter and bomber aircraft to conduct 12 airstrikes.
Separately, U.S. and partner nation military forces conducted 10 airstrikes in Iraq Dec. 22 using fighter, bomber, and attack aircraft against the ISIL terrorists. These engagements were in support of the 7th Iraqi Army, local police and tribal fighters engaged in fighting with ISIL forces in the vicinity of Dulab.
The following is a summary of those strikes:
• Near Kobani, six airstrikes destroyed six ISIL fighting positions and struck four ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL tactical unit.
• Near Aleppo, three airstrikes destroyed artillery equipment and struck 10 ISIL buildings.
• Near Al Hasakah, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL tactical vehicle, two ISIL trucks, an ISIL building, and two ISIL storage containers.
• Near Ar Raqqah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL checkpoint complex.
• Near Sinjar, three airstrikes destroyed three ISIL tactical vehicles, three ISIL trucks, five ISIL buildings and struck two large ISIL units and an ISIL tactical unit.
• Near Al Asad, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL tactical vehicle and struck two ISIL tactical units.
• Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL checkpoint.
• Near Ramadi, an airstrike destroyed two ISIL vehicles, an ISIL building and struck an ISIL tactical unit.
• Near Mosul, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Fallujah, an airstrike destroyed two ISIL buildings and struck a weapons factory complex.
All aircraft returned to base safely. Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, the region and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition Nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain,
Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.