Tuesday, August 5, 2014

REMARKS BY SECRETARY KERRY AND DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO PRESIDENT KABILA

FROM:  U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT 

Remarks With Democratic Republic of the Congo President Joseph Kabila Before Their Meeting

Remarks
John Kerry
Secretary of State
Treaty Room
Washington, DC
August 4, 2014




SECRETARY KERRY: I don’t think we need these big, formal podiums, but let me – it’s my great pleasure to welcome President Kabila of the Democratic Republic of Congo to Washington. I’m very, very happy he’s here. He received me in May on my trip to the D.R.C. We then talked about the efforts that he is making with respect to strengthening democracy in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

And we’re very grateful to him for the efforts that he has made, the leadership that they’ve offered to help deal with the problems of the FDLR and the problems with the M23 group, which with his military effort and MONUSCO, they were able to help disarm. That process is continuing and it is a process that will help bring peace and stability ultimately to the region.
We also talked about economic development and the future. We have a lot to work on and we look forward to a good conversation today. Thank you, Mr. President, for being with us. Thank you.
PRESIDENT KABILA: Thanks a lot, Secretary of State. Of course, first of all, I am, myself, and my delegation glad and happy that we finally meet again in Washington, as I promised I would come for this particular summit. And I’m glad that on the sidelines of this particular summit that we’re going to raise, once again, the three or four issues in as far as the situation is concerned, not only in the Congo but the region.

But it’s worth noting that since we met, I believe one, two months ago, the situation has continued to evolve and move forward in the right direction, and that now the Congo is living the era of peace and that we are moving towards stability and long-term stability in all sectors – not only security but also economic development and the development of the region as a whole.
So once again, I’m glad that we’re here as per the invitation, and I hope that in our discussions we definitely are going to raise those issues and chart the way forward in our relations. Thanks a lot.

SECRETARY KERRY: Thank you, my friend. Thank you, sir.

Search This Blog

Translate

White House.gov Press Office Feed