Thursday, January 10, 2013

U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE CLINTON RETURNS

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE

Remarks at a Flag Ceremony for United States Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney
Remarks
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Monroe Room
Washington, DC
January 9, 2013


QUESTION: (In progress) All right. Madam Secretary, just on behalf of the press corps, welcome back to work.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Thank you, Matt. I must – I have to say, Matt, I really missed you all. (Laughter.)

QUESTION: I find that a little hard to believe.

SECRETARY CLINTON: I know. I wouldn’t say that under normal circumstances.

QUESTION: (Laughter.) I find it – well, as you know, Ambassador Rooney knows a thing or two about contact sport injuries, and I’m sure –

SECRETARY CLINTON: Yes. That’s why I now have a helmet (inaudible).

QUESTION: I’m sure he wishes it was a Steelers helmet. It wasn’t, though. But how does it feel to be back? Were you frustrated to be cooped up, not out?

SECRETARY CLINTON: No, Matt, I am thrilled to be back. And I am also incredibly grateful for this fabulous team that I have here at the State Department who never missed a beat for the time that I was away. And we are focused on continuing our work, finishing up everything that we can, and helping Senator Kerry with his transition.

QUESTION: So things – you’re ready – you’re back in the swing of things --

SECRETARY CLINTON: I am back --

QUESTION: -- even though it’s closing down your operation?

SECRETARY CLINTON: Yeah. It’s obviously somewhat bittersweet, because I’ve had the most extraordinary experience, and I work with just an amazing team of people. But I’m very much looking forward to doing everything we can these last few weeks to resolve and finish up wherever possible and then to have a very smooth, seamless transition to Senator Kerry to continue the work.

QUESTION: And then retirement?

SECRETARY CLINTON: I don’t know that that’s the word I would use, but certainly stepping off the very fast track for a little while.

QUESTION: Okay. Thank you.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Thanks, Matt. Great to see you.

QUESTION: Great to see you.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Thank you, all.

Search This Blog

Translate

White House.gov Press Office Feed